National Stroke Association - Young Stroke: An Unexpected Reality
- Stroke kills more than 130,000 Americans each year—that’s 1 out of every 20 deaths.
- Someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds. Every 4 minutes, someone dies of stroke.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.
- About 185,00 strokes—nearly 1 of 4—are in people who have had a previous stroke.
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability.
- Stroke reduces mobility in more than half of stroke survivors age 65 and over.
Source: Center for Disease Control
Published on May 10, 2017.