Click the Video to See 5 Blogs for Families Caring for Aging Loved Ones
There are many great blogs out there, but if you are a family caring for an aging loved one, here are just five must reads to find wisdom, know-how, and encouragement for the journey.
- The New Old Age: This New York Times blog is headed up by Jane Gross, an adult daughter herself, and author who explores the unprecedented intergenerational challenge of longevity.
- AARP Blog: They share news and stories on matters of retirement planning, healthcare, employment security, lifestyle tips, educational information and more. Their topics are applicable to both adult children and their aging parents.
- Sound Life Blog: As the leading expert in eldercare in the Puget Sound, Sound Options educates and empowers families to meet care needs, reduce stress, and increase quality of life.
- Alzheimer’s Reading Room: If your loved one has dementia, this blog will be particularly insightful to your experiences. It is a source of news, health, and memory loss information for the Alzheimer’s and Dementia community worldwide.
- Changing Aging: This blog by Gerontologist, Dr. Bill Thomas challenges conventional views on aging. He has shared his ideas through the blog and even TED talks. In his words, “What we need is radical reinterpretation of longevity that makes elder central to our pursuit of happiness and well-being.”
Help When You Need It
We hope that these resources will be of use to you and your family. It is so important to not go it alone, seek resources and ask for help. If you are looking for a little relief, Sound Options can take a shift with our exceptional In-Home Care Services. They can be tailored to meet the needs, whether it is taking a parent to a doctor appointment so you don’t have to miss work, live-in care so you know they are safe day-and night. A good starting place is a one hour consultation with a Geriatric Care Manager to neutrally assess the situation and needs of your loved one and family. Visit our “Services” page to learn more, or just give us a call.
Published on June 10, 2013.