National Preparedness Month 2016
September is National Preparedness Month (NPM). NPM is managed and sponsored by FEMA's Ready Campaign which aims to educate and empower Americans during NPM and throughout the year. The goal is to prepare for and respond to all types of emergencies, including natural disasters and potential terrorist attacks. This September, please prepare and plan in the event you must go for three days without electricity, water service, access to a supermarket, or local services for several days.
Just follow these four steps:
• Be Informed
• Make a Plan
• Build a Kit
• Get Involved
While each person’s abilities and needs are unique, every individual can take steps to prepare for all types of emergencies. By evaluating your own personal needs and making an emergency plan that fits those needs, you and your loved ones can be better prepared for anything that life throws your way.
Visit Ready.gov/seniors and consider the following.
• Learn more about how a disaster might affect your individual needs or the needs of someone you care for.
• It is possible that you will not have access to a medical facility or even a drugstore. Plan to make it on your own, at least for a period of time.
• Identify what kind of resources you use on a daily basis and what you might do if they are limited or not available.
• Build an Emergency Kit with your unique considerations in mind. What do you need to maintain your health, safety and independence?
Create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends and co-workers to aid you during an emergency. Discuss your needs and make sure everyone knows what to do, where to go, and how to operate necessary equipment. If appropriate, discuss your needs with your employer. Seniors should keep specialized items ready, including extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, food for service animals and any other items you might need. Be sure to make provisions for medications that require refrigeration. Make arrangements for any assistance to get to a shelter.
For more information, check out:
• Monthly Preparedness text messages: Text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA) to receive monthly preparedness tips.
• Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Order publications: call 1-800-BE-READY, 1-888-SE-LISTO, and TTY 1-800-462-7585
Information provided by the National Preparedness Community
Published on September 1, 2016.