Let's Rethink Care Coordination
Our well-being is comprised of a complex web of needs and desires. As parents age, it is common for adult children to become the hub of care, managing several categories of needs. Professional Care Managers are pivotal in assisting families at the hub. They simplify, coordinate, and proactively guide the care of a loved one with intelligence, expertise, and heart.
Our Geriatric Care Managers are health and human services professionals who specialize in issues relating to eldercare. As Registered Nurses and Masters of Social Work, they are professionally trained to work with aging adults and chronically ill persons to build a stable and quality life for clients and their families. Geriatric Care Managers at Sound Options are experienced advocates capable of managing complex situations and finding intelligent and creative solutions for all care concerns.
As part of our service to you, our Geriatric Care Managers:
- Navigate the healthcare and insurance maze
- Advocate in hospital and facility settings to manage crises and provide transitional care
- Educate family on prognoses and provide valuable information to make good decisions
- Coordinate care with a holistic approach and manage medications and care team members including physicians and therapists
- Mediate difficult family dynamics to facilitate good communication and honor clients’ wishes
- Collaborate with attorneys and guardians
Typical Clients Using Care Management Services:
- Aging adults with far away family
- Persons suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias
- Traumatic brain injured clients of all ages
- Chronically ill persons (CHF, COPD, diabetes, cancer, ALS, etc.)
- Persons with mental illness (bipolar, schizophrenic, etc.)
- Professionals such as attorneys, guardians, trust officers
A Brief History of Geriatric Care Management
In 1985 the National Association of Private Geriatric Care Managers (NAPGCM) was founded to support the businesses of the "pioneers" of this profession. Using a holistic model, Care Management now responds to a wide range of issues including legal, financial, medical, social, housing, family and personal needs. In 2015, it rebranded and is now known as the Aging Life Care Association. Sound Options owner, Mary Lynn Pannen, served as president of this organization in 2007 and continues to be an active member as Sound Options also continue to meet the demands of the changing healthcare landscape.
Currently, a quarter of adult children, mainly Baby Boomers, provide personal care and/or financial assistance to an aging parent, according to the MetLife Mature Market Institute. With families living at increasing distances from one another it has become critical to address long-distance caregiving needs. Care Management is a natural fit to fill the gap by being the "eyes and ears" for distant family members.
Since 1989, Sound Options has been a leader in the field of Geriatric Care Management in the Puget Sound region. You have access to local experts in eldercare to give you the best information to make the best decisions for your family. Give us a call to speak with one of our RN or MSW Professional Care Managers today at 800.628.7648.